Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and the judges, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to the Contest.
- DESCRIPTION. Twitter, Inc. (“Sponsor”) invites individuals and companies (each an “Entrant”) to participate in the Twitter Platform Startup Contest (the “Contest”) to find the best app that meets the criteria set forth below. Entries may be submitted between February 1-June 5, 2015 (the “Entry Period”). Judging of entries will take place in June 2015, and up to ten finalists will be invited to attend an event in San Francisco in July 2015 (the “Event”). The ten finalists will be given the opportunity to record a video to be used to advertise their app and their company. At the Event, Sponsor will play their video and finalists will present their app to a panel of judges as well as an audience. The judges will select three winners, who will each respectively win a Grand Prize of US$25,000, a Second Prize of US$10,000 and a Third Prize of US$5,000.
- ELIGIBILITY. The Contest is open to: (a) individuals or sole proprietors who have reached 18 years of age or older or the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence, and have the full legal capacity to participate in this Contest at time of entry; and (b) privately held businesses that have taken US$2 million or under in external funding and less than US$10 million in total revenue. The Contest is void in Quebec and where prohibited by law, and are subject to applicable laws. Employees of Sponsor and its affiliated companies, suppliers, participating advertising and promotion agencies and prize suppliers/funding entities, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. Eligibility is also contingent upon compliance with these Official Rules and fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. Entrants may not be a national or legal permanent resident of any of the following countries: Burma, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria. Entrants may not be members of any guild, union or other organization that may prohibit them from participating in this Contest and that would restrict, require dues payment or otherwise have the right to oppose such Entrant’s participation in this Contest. Individuals submitting an entry on behalf of a business entity represent and warrant that they are authorized to submit the entry on behalf of the business entity.
- HOW TO ENTER. During the Entry Period, go to www.hatch.io (the “Website”). The Website will provide instructions as to how to submit an entry.
Sponsor is looking for apps in the following categories:
- Mobile iOS and Android apps that use Fabric
- Enterprise Solutions on top of Sponsor’s data products
- AdTech solutions on top of Sponsor’s advertising APIs
- JUDGING and WINNER SELECTION. All entries will be judged according to the following criteria (the “Judging Criteria”):
- Creativity of the application or solution – does it have a unique take on a real problem?
- Marketability – is the problem space and solution potentially financially lucrative?
- Strength of the team – does the team have the background or experience to build the solution or address the problem space?
- Integration with Twitter – does the solution use Twitter data or Fabric as an integral component?
The finalists will record a one minute pitch video (“Video”) that highlights their app and their company. During the video, finalists will explain the company, the app, and how Twitter is used. Videos must be in the English language and must be around one minute long. Twitter will provide production support in the creation of the Video.
Finalists will have the opportunity to present their Video and make a presentation to a panel of Judges at the Event in San Francisco in July, 2015. Based on the Judging Criteria, the Judges will select a winner.
By submitting a Video, each finalist grants to Sponsor the non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display the Video throughout the world in any media. By submitting a Video, each finalist represents and warrants that their Video (a) does not infringe on the rights of any third party; (b) has not previously been distributed through any media channel; (c) is not defamatory, libelous, obscene, or otherwise illegal; (d) is the sole and exclusive property of the Entrant; (e) is owned and controlled entirely by finalist and that finalist has complete, worldwide distribution rights; and (f) if it includes any person, that finalist has the written consent of any such person (or parent or legal guardian if such person is a minor) who appears in the Video.
If a finalist appears in a Video, the finalist consents to Sponsor’s use of the finalist’s name, likeness, photograph or image, including, without limitation, a recording or parts thereof, whether in writing, audio, and/or video, for any purpose, in any media, without compensation or additional consideration to finalist. Sponsor shall have the right at any time to request proof of such consent. Finalists agree to indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and their respective affiliates, and any agents, employees or representatives of any of them, for any action brought by a person whose consent finalist did not obtain. Videos, along with the finalist’s name, city and state of residence, may be posted on any web site owned and/or operated by Sponsor or any of their respective affiliates (“Sponsor Site”), any other web site or other online point of presence on any platform, through which any products or services available on or through the Sponsor Site are described, syndicated, offered, merchandised or advertised, in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
If a potential finalist does not timely satisfy all requirements requested by Sponsor, Sponsor may disqualify the potential finalist and select an alternate, in its sole discretion.
- PRIZES. One Grand Prize winner will receive US$25,000. One Second Prize winner will receive US$10,000. One Third Prize winner will receive US$5,000. ALL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH ANY PRIZE ACCEPTANCE ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS. IF TAXES ARE APPLICABLE TO THE PRIZE(S), IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER TO PAY TO THE APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES.
- ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATIONS. Sponsor may request additional information from the Entrants as may be necessary to judge their Entry. Entrants must respond to any requests for additional information within two business days from the time the request is made. Entrants and finalists may forfeit prizes or opportunities to proceed in Contest if (1) Sponsor is unable to contact Entrant within two business days of first attempted notification, or (2) Entrant fails to respond as requested within two business days of the date of notification. Finalists or an authorized representative of the business will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability/Publicity Release, and provide any additional tax filing information (such as a W-9, social security number or Federal tax ID number) within five calendar days following the date of first attempted notification. Failure to comply with these deadlines or with these Official Rules may result in forfeiture.
- PUBLICITY. By submitting an Entry, each Entrant agrees to the publishing of their name, business logo, city/state/province/country on the Website and inclusion in a press release and other media coverage if selected as a finalist or winner. Acceptance of any prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its affiliates, agencies and designees to use winners’ names or likenesses, city/state/province/country and company names, trademarks and logos for advertising and promotional purposes in any and all media now or hereafter devised, worldwide in perpetuity (or to the maximum extent permissible under applicable law), without additional compensation, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. By participating, Entrants agree not to hold Sponsor, or its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies, and all of its respective directors, officers, employees and assigns (collectively, “Released Parties”) responsible for any injury or damage caused or claimed to be caused by Entrant’s participation in the Contest or acceptance and use of any prize (including any travel or activity-related to the prize or the Contest). Nothing in these official rules will limit the Released Parties' liability for death or personal injury caused by that party's negligence or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- SUBMISSIONS. By participating in the Contest, each Entrant warrants that it has the authority as sole owner of its Entry to provide it to Sponsor, and that its Entry and any other materials or information provided by it in connection with the Contest (collectively, “Submission Materials”) do not infringe or misappropriate any intellectual or other property right of any other person or entity, including any patent or trade secret. Each Entrant understands that his/her Submission Materials are non-confidential and may be made public, in whole or in part. By submitting an Entry, each Entrant grants to Sponsor and its affiliates the irrevocable, royalty-free right to use all or a portion of the Submission Materials, along with the Entrant’s name and company name, trademarks and logos, in any promotional materials produced by Sponsor or its affiliates. Further, Sponsor and its affiliates will have the right to otherwise use and disclose any Submission Materials in connection with the Contest. The Entrants should be guided by their own attorneys as to the desirability of seeking patents or other protection for their Entry. Each Entrant acknowledges that Sponsor or its affiliates may currently or in the future be developing information internally, or receiving information from other parties, that is similar to Submission Materials (“Sponsor’s Developed Materials”). Nothing in these Official Rules will be construed as a representation or agreement that Sponsor or its affiliates will not develop or have developed products, concepts, systems or techniques that are similar to or compete with the products, concepts, systems or techniques contemplated by or embodied in any Submission Materials. Each Entrant agrees to waive any claims or action he/she has or may have in connection with Sponsor’s Developed Materials.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. Released Parties are not responsible for transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by us on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to any Entrant’s or any other computer resulting from downloading any materials in connection with the Contest.
- GENERAL. Sponsor in its sole discretion reserves the right to terminate the Contest in the event it does not receive a minimum of 25 qualified Entries from separate eligible Entrants. And, if for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, change these Official Rules or cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. If terminated, we may select winners from all non-suspect, eligible entries received as of the termination date using the judging procedure outlined above. We may disqualify any individual found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or Website; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; or be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person and void all associated Entries.
- CHOICE OF LAW. This promotion is governed by U.S. law and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws. Any and all legal actions or claims arising in connection with this promotion must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in California.
- WINNERS LIST. The names of the finalists and the winner will be publicized on the Website.
- SPONSOR. The sponsor of this Contest is Twitter, Inc., 1355 Market Street, Suite 900, San Francisco, CA 94103.